Key concepts in agreements between UL Standards and other country SDOs are outlined below. The purpose of an MOU is to strengthen the relationship between UL and the accredited standards development organization of the country.
AN MOU HAS THE FOLLOWING GOALS
- Promote communication between the two organizations;
- Avoid duplication of work efforts where possible;
- Increase knowledge of each other's standards development activities;
- Utilize the resources of UL to strengthen the country's national standards system; and
- Promote the acceptance and use of UL Standards in country.
AS PART OF AN MOU, UL
- Provides the national standards body with electronic access to UL's Standards Library for internal use;
- Considers negotiation of terms that would allow the other organization to adopt and distribute UL Standards in the country (if this is desired by the national standards body);
- Encourages the national standards body designees to apply for membership on relevant UL Standards Technical Panels (STPs) so they may contribute to the development of UL Standards.
THE NATIONAL STANDARDS BODY WILL
- Identify specific industry leaders, stakeholders, and technical experts to apply for membership on UL STPs;
- Adopt specific UL standards, as specifically agreed by UL, as the basis of organization or country National Standards and reference UL standards where possible in organization National Standards;
- Make appropriate reference to UL's copyrights;
- Promote the relevance of UL standards, where appropriate, to organization regulatory needs and incorporate UL standards by reference, where possible; and
- Send an annual report to UL on its involvement in UL standards development activities.