Standard for Instrumentation Tray Cable
1.1 These requirements cover Type ITC instrumentation control cables consisting of two or more current-carrying copper or thermocouple alloy conductors with or without either or both:
a) Grounding conductor(s), bare or insulated, and
b) One or more optical-fiber members, all under an overall jacket.
These electrical and composite electrical/optical-fiber cables are intended for use (optical and electrical functions associated in the case of a hybrid cable) on circuits rated 150 V or less and 5 A or less in accordance with Article 727 and other applicable parts of the National Electrical Code (NEC).
1.2 These cables are rated 300 V but are not so marked. Cables for direct-burial are so marked. Jacketed Type ITC cables comply with one of the following 70,000 Btu/h (20.5 kW) vertical-tray flame tests:
a) The UL test referenced in 35.2.1 - 35.2.2 of these requirements. These paragraphs apply the test method described as the UL Flame Exposure (smoke measurements are not applicable) in the Standard for Vertical-Tray Fire-Propagation and Smoke-Release Test for Electrical and Optical-Fiber Cables, UL 1685.
b) The FT4/IEEE 1202 test referenced in 35.3.1 of these requirements. This paragraph applies the test method described as the FT4/IEEE 1202 Type of Flame Exposure (smoke measurements are not applicable) in UL 1685.
c) For limited-smoke cable, either the UL test or the FT4/IEEE 1202 test referenced in 35.4.1 and 35.4.2 of these requirements. These paragraphs apply the test methods described in UL 1685 with smoke measurements included.
1.3 A cable that contains one or more electromagnetic shields may be surface marked or have a marker tape to indicate that it is "shielded". A cable that contains one or more optical-fiber members has "-OF" supplementing the type letters and is limited (see 14.3) to carrying optical energy that has been ruled not hazardous to the human body.
1.4 All Type ITC cables qualify for exposure to sunlight (a 720-hour sunlight-resistance test is required - see 29.1). A marking is not required; however, where used, the marking consists of "sun res" or "sunlight resistant" on the tag and either on the overall cable jacket or legible through the jacket [see 42.1 (i)].
1.5 These cables may have a metal sheath or armor over the required non/metallic jacket.
1.6 These requirements do not cover the optical or other performance of any optical-fiber member or group of such members.
1.7 The overall jacket on Type ITC cable is a "gas/vapor-tight continuous sheath" in the sense discussed in Sections 501.5 (D) and 501.5 (E) of the National Electrical Code, ANSI/NFPA 70, (see 16.1.1).
1.8 Cables that are surface marked "-ER" are for use as exposed runs of not more than 50 ft (15.2 m) between a cable tray and equipment where the cables are supported and secured every 6 ft (1.8 m).
- Table of Contents
- 1 Scope
- 2 Units of Measurement
- 3 References
- 4 Materials
- 5 Conductors
- 6 Size, Temper, and Assembly
- 7 Conductor Diameter and Cross-Sectional Area
- 8 Metal Coating
- 9 Separator
- 10 Joints
- 11 Resistance
- 12 Stranding
- 13 Insulation
- 13.1 Material and application
- 13.2 Properties
- 13.3 Thicknesses
- 13.4 Individual covering
- 14 Optical-Fiber Member(s)
- 15 Assembly
- 15.1 Optical-fiber member(s)
- 15.2 Circuit and grounding conductors
- 15.3 Fillers
- 15.4 Binders
- 15.5 Shield
- 16 Overall Jacket
- 16.1 Material and application
- 16.2 Properties
- 16.3 Thicknesses
- 17 Metal Covering
- 17.1 General
- 17.2 Smooth metal sheath
- 17.3 Welded and corrugated metal sheath
- 17.4 Extruded and corrugated metal sheath
- 17.5 Interlocked armor
- 18 Jacket over Metal Covering
- 19 Continuity Test of Conductors
- 20 Heat Shock and Flexibility Tests
- 20.1 Heat shock
- 20.2 Flexibility test
- 21 Deformation Test
- 22 Cold Bend Test of Insulation
- 23 Cold Bend Test of Complete Cable
- 24 Spark Test after Insulating
- 25 Dielectric Voltage-Withstand Test
- 26 Insulation Resistance Test at 60.0°F (15.6°C)
- 27 Test Procedure for Determining the Multiplying-Factor Column for Adjusting Insulation Resistance
- 28 Long Term Insulation-Resistance Test in Water
- 29 Sunlight Resistance Test
- 30 Crushing Test for Cable Marked for Direct Burial
- 31 Water Absorption Test of Insulation in Direct-Burial Cable
- 32 Impact Test for Type ITC Cable Marked "-ER"
- 33 Crushing Test for Type ITC Cable Marked "-ER"
- 34 Changes in Construction
- 35 Vertical-Tray Flame Tests on Cables
- 35.1 General
- 35.2 UL test
- 35.3 FT4/IEEE 1202 test
- 35.4 Vertical-tray fire and smoke-release test for cables with "-LS" marking
- 36 Copper Sulphate Test of Zinc Coating on Steel Strip for and from Interlocked Steel Armor
- 37 Tension Test of Interlocked Armor
- 38 Flexibility Test for Cable Having Interlocked Armor or a Smooth or Corrugated Metal Sheath
- 39 Durability Test of Ink Printing
- 40 Intervals
- 41 Coding
- 42 Information on or in the Cable
- 43 Information on the Tag, Reel, or Carton
- 44 Multiple Markings
- 45 Date of Manufacture
- Superseded List
- Edition Number: 2
- Edition Date: 04/03/2006
- Price Code: B
- Type: ulstd
- ANSI Approved: 11/03/2014
- DOD Approved: —