Appliances Couplers for Household and Similar General Purposes - Part 1: General Requirements
This part of IEC 60320 is applicable to two-pole appliance couplers for a.c. only, with or without earthing contact, with a rated voltage not exceeding 250 V and a rated current not exceeding 16 A, for household and similar general purposes and intended for the connection of a supply cord to electrical appliances or other electrical equipment for 50 Hz or 60 Hz supply.
NOTE 1 Appliance inlets integrated or incorporated in appliances or other equipment are within the scope of this standard. The dimensional and general requirements of this standard apply to such inlets, but certain tests may not be relevant.
NOTE 2 The requirements for connectors are based on the assumption that the temperature of the pins of the corresponding appliance inlets does not exceed
70 °C for connectors for cold conditions;
120 °C for connectors for hot conditions;
155 °C for connectors for very hot conditions.
NOTE 3 Appliance couplers complying with this standard are suitable for use at ambient temperatures not normally exceeding 25 °C, but occasionally reaching 35 °C.
NOTE 4 Appliance couplers complying with the standard sheets in this standard are intended for the connection of equipment having no special protection against moisture. If appliance couplers are used with equipment which may be subject to spillage of liquid in normal use then protection against moisture is to be provided by the equipment.
NOTE 5 Special constructions may be required
- in locations where special conditions prevail, for example, as in ships, vehicles and the like;
- in hazardous locations, for example, where explosions are liable to occur.
1DV.1 These requirements are applicable to two-pole appliance couplers for a.c. only, and with or without earthing contact, with a rated voltage not exceeding 250 V and a rated current not exceeding 20 A, for household and similar general purposes and intended for the connection of a supply cord to electrical appliances or other electrical equipment for 50 Hz or 60 Hz supply.
1DV.2 This standard does not apply directly to the following devices, but supplements the standards applying to such devices:
- devices produced integrally with flexible cord or cable, which are covered by CSA C22.2 No. 21 and UL 817.
1DV.3 Delete Note 1, Note 2, Note 3, Note 4, and Note 5
- UL Harmonized Standard Title Page
- Table of Contents
- IEC Foreword
- APPLIANCE COUPLERS FOR HOUSEHOLD AND SIMILAR GENERAL PURPOSES - Part 1: General requirements
- 1 Scope
- 2 Normative references
- 3 Definitions
- 4 General requirements
- 5 General notes on tests
- 6 Standard ratings
- 7 Classification
- 8 Marking
- 9 Dimensions and compatibility
- 10 Protection against electric shock
- 11 Provision for earthing
- 12 Terminals and terminations
- 12.1 General
- 13 Construction
- 14 Moisture resistance
- 15 Insulation resistance and electric strength
- 16 Forces necessary to insert and to withdraw the connector
- 17 Operation of contacts
- 18 Resistance to heating of appliance couplers for hot conditions or very hot conditions
- 19 Breaking capacity
- 20 Normal operation
- 21 Temperature rise
- 22 Cords and their connection
- 23 Mechanical strength
- 24 Resistance to heat and ageing
- 25 Screws, current-carrying parts and connections
- 26 Creepage distances, clearances and distances through insulation
- 27 Resistance of insulating material to heat, fire and tracking
- 28 Resistance to rusting
- 29 Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) requirements
- 29.1 Immunity
- 29.2 Emission
- Annex A (normative) Routine tests for factory wired appliance couplers related to safety (protection against electric shock and correct polarity)
- Annex DVA(informative) Configurations for North American Ratings Table in Clause 6.2DV
- Annex DVB(informative) Referenced standards that are informative
- Edition Number: 2
- Edition Date: 05/12/2011
- Price Code: F
- Type: ulcsaiec
- ANSI Approved: 07/22/2015
- DOD Approved: —